Sunday, December 16, 2012

Go Mode

Every sufficiently close relationship tends to develop it's own language. Sometimes, I feel like Mary and I speak entirely in code. An example of this is "Go Mode". Go Mode is when one of us gets so focused on doing something that everything else -- no matter how important -- falls by the wayside. An example of usage is "Bill, I know you are in Go Mode, but you still need to eat." One generally uses it to describe the other spouse, and tries to pronounce the capitols.

After quite a while of nothing much at all going on with the move, every imaginable thing was suddenly getting underway at once. In part, we have a handful of related things we wanted to get squared away before leaving (doctors visits, a week-long trip to CT for me for work, Christmas travel) and December seemed like the perfect month to schedule absolutely every one of them. Suddenly, we were both in Go Mode all the time.

Now, we finally feel like we are getting stuff done. As of Thursday our visas have been issued, and those should be getting FedExed to Mary's office as I type. We have appointments with several moving companies, and have selected a storage place for the things we are not bringing. We've picked a travel date, and I have reached out to the travel agent to start getting the ticketing process (more of a process due to the cats) underway. We even have temporary housing almost squared away! I place to live! How novel!

The way to really tell that I am finally out of Go Mode though? I actually slept through an entire night last night, without once waking up to mentally iterate through our many to-do lists. Take that, Go Mode.

No comments: