Saturday, July 30, 2011

CSA 2011 - Week 8

Bit of a late post again, but at least I have a valid excuse this time in the form of an almost week-long visit to the Corporate Mothership. It was a good visit, but it did leave Mary to pick up and photograph the CSA on her own, and got us a bit behind on the consumption curve.

I am told that there were raspberries in this share, but they were long gone by the time I returned home. Mary reports that they were juicy and delicious.

More tasty, tasty corn. We already had two of these off the cob, and plan to make a smoked mozzarella and corn pie with the other. Yum.

These turnip looking fellows are actually watermelon radishes. We are going to enter the scary world of the cooked radish for the first time, so we'll see how that goes.

Two incredibly dark red shallots.

Assorted sweet peppers will get roasted and turned into a lovely and colorful salad.

These quinte apples are getting baked into a rustic tart. We actually have a bunch of non-dessert apple recipes, but for some reason we have been using them all in desserts lately. I guess I can convince myself that Apple Pie is a summer thing, whereas Roast Pork with Apple and Onions just screams autumn.

Red bull onions will get mixed with some storebought ones and made into a rustic onion tart with feta and thyme. We are apparently in a rustic mood this week. This is a new recipe for us, but I have been told that it's great by others so I am excited to try it.

Oh garlic scapes, I thought we were done. These will go into naan and our garlic lover's rub, which is entertainingly green when done with scapes.

Did you know that there is such a thing as fresh garbanzo beans? I mean, logic dictates that there must be, but it never occurred to me that they came from anything but a can or bag. I guess I thought the stork brought them? We're at a bit of loss with these, and we may just roast them or make them into hummus and get our snack on.

These red potatoes will likely get mashed and eaten with the radish and chicken recipe.

Carrots are carrots. We'll either fool ourselves into thinking that we will cut them and bring them to work as snacks then fall back to roasting them, or we'll just roast them. I suspect the first is more likely.

This freakish fellow is an Armenian cucumber. It's not only striped like a circus tent, but also slightly fuzzy. We haven't cut into it yet, so we'll see what other wonders await.

No comments: