Wednesday, July 18, 2007

CSA Week 3

Our second CSA delivery went pretty well. Again we had an ingredient go to waste (we traveled the first weekend and by our return the Chard was hopelessly wilted) but overall kept up well.

We made an asian slaw with the cabbage that even my lovely wife had to admit was delicious. The spinach and feta (and kale) pie we made this time was more involved (we made our own yeast dough) but I still think I preferred it. I am such a sucker for bread products, and the real dough versus prepackaged made a huge difference to me.

The only other interesting thing we did was to make a garlic scape paste for marinating chicken. It was good, but I really should have added more oil and perhaps some lemon juice. The paste we ended up with was pretty much a bunch of minced scapes, and I think it would have been a better flavor with additional oil. Live and learn.

This week's delivery is the last one we will receive before we start our kitchen remodel. Hopefully the next two will be contain mostly grillable veggies, or those that can be eaten raw.

Beets I guess we'll...roast them? New one to us.

Scallions

Basil Was going to become pesto until I discovered how little we got.

Carrots

Summer Squash which will be eaten both as is and in zucchini bread. Yum.

Cucumbers I'm not entirely sure what we are going to do with this many. We'll have to search for some recipes.

Romaine Lettuce

Snap Peas

Roma Tomatoes Ahhhh....these are so sweet and delicious. One of our favorite things to eat when they are in season.

Cucumber Strayed into this shot because I unpacked the bags one at a time.

No comments: